Scotland’s capital has an award-winning reputation as one of the most attractive destinations in the world. The historic Old and New Towns are designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site (1995) and the capital was named the first ever UNESCO City of Literature (2004).
Edinburgh is regularly voted the UK's favourite domestic holiday city whilst visitors and residents consistently rate the city highly for its attractiveness and quality of life. This level of recognition is good news for Edinburgh and for you - as your delegates will be thrilled with your choice of destination.
Edinburgh’s Awards & Accolades
- Edinburgh ranked in ninth position in a new index of Europe’s most dynamic cities according to Savills, June 2017.
- Edinburgh ranked 1st in the 2016/17 FDi strategy category for Global Cities of the Future.
- Event and Festival Destination of the year (Luxury Travel Guide Awards, 2017).
- Edinburgh is the greenest city in the UK with 49.1% of the city is green space (The Guardian, Jan 2017).
- Edinburgh named 2nd top UK destination in TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards (2017).
- Edinburgh named UK’s most walkable city (Living Streets, 2017).
- Edinburgh ranked second in the world for quality of life (The Financial Times, 2017).
- Edinburgh voted the fourth most beautiful city in the world by readers of Rough Guide, behind only Paris, Florence and Rome (Feb, 2016).
- Edinburgh has come first in the Telegraph’s ‘Britain’s Best 20 Cities’ award, for the third time in a row (2016)
- Convention Edinburgh named finalist in the category of Best UK Convention Bureau (Meeting and Incentive Travel Awards 2016)
- Voted fourth most beautiful city in the world (Rough Guide 2016)
- Voted Friendliest UK City (Conde Nast Traveller 2016)
- Voted best city in Europe to locate a tech business (European Business Magazine 2016)
- Best UK destination outside London for second year in a row (Tripadvisor 2016, 2015)
- Convention Edinburgh named as finalist in one of the UK's biggest tourism industry awards for second year in a row. Shortlisted in the category of Best UK Convention Bureau in the Meeting and Incentive Travel (M&IT) Awards (Apr, 2016).
- Edinburgh is most popular UK city after London for hosting international association meetings and rated 20 in the top 50 European City ranking. (ICCA 2015)
- Rated third safest city in the world (Post Office Travel Insurance 2015)
- Convention Edinburgh has been named as a finalist in one of the UK’s biggest tourism industry awards for the first time. It is shortlisted in the category of Best UK Convention Bureau in the Meeting and Incentive Travel (M&IT) Awards.
- Edinburgh was included in The Telegraph's 10 best places to visit in Scotland 2015
- The Chester Residence in Edinburgh has also ranked as the seventh best luxury hotel in Europe in the TripAdvisor traveller’s choice awards.
- Edinburgh places at number six in JLL's City Momentum Index 2015, which measures Europe's top 12 most dynamic cities
- Forth most beautiful city in the world as voted for by Rough Guide readers, February 2015
- Edinburgh ranked in top 3 best places to live in the UK (PwC & think-tank Demos 2015)
- Edinburgh was voted the UK’s second favourite city, just behind London in the Conde Nast Traveller magazine Readers’ Travel Awards 2015
- One of world’s top ten cities (one of three European cities to make top ten rankings), Wanderlust Reader’s Travel Awards, February 2015 (also voted in top ten in 2014)
- Best UK destination outside London, as voted for by TripAdvisor reviewers, March 2015
- The city was ranked by The European as the FDI City of the Year in the Business and Finance Awards 2015 for investment potential and innovation.