Scotland’s capital has an award-winning reputation as one of the most attractive destinations in the world. The historic Old and New Towns are designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site (1995) and the capital was named the first ever UNESCO City of Literature (2004).
Edinburgh is regularly voted the UK's favourite domestic holiday city whilst visitors and residents consistently rate the city highly for its attractiveness and quality of life. This level of recognition is good news for Edinburgh and for you - as your delegates will be thrilled with your choice of destination.
Edinburgh’s Awards & Accolades
- Edinburgh ranked 1st in the 2016/17 FDi strategy category for Global Cities of the Future.
- Event and Festival Destination of the year (Luxury Travel Guide Awards, 2017).
- Edinburgh is the greenest city in the UK with 49.1% of the city is green space (The Guardian, Jan 2017).
- Edinburgh voted the fourth most beautiful city in the world by readers of Rough Guide, behind only Paris, Florence and Rome (Feb, 2016).
- Edinburgh has come first in the Telegraph’s ‘Britain’s Best 20 Cities’ award, for the third time in a row (2016)
- Convention Edinburgh named finalist in the category of Best UK Convention Bureau (Meeting and Incentive Travel Awards 2016)
- Voted fourth most beautiful city in the world (Rough Guide 2016)
- Voted Friendliest UK City (Conde Nast Traveller 2016)
- Voted best city in Europe to locate a tech business (European Business Magazine 2016)
- Best UK destination outside London for second year in a row (Tripadvisor 2016, 2015)
- Convention Edinburgh named as finalist in one of the UK's biggest tourism industry awards for second year in a row. Shortlisted int he category of Best UK Convention Bureau in the Meeting and Incentive Travel (M&IT) Awards (Apr, 2016).
- Edinburgh is most popular UK city after London for hosting international association meetings and rated 20 in the top 50 European City ranking. (ICCA 2015)
- Rated third safest city in the world (Post Office Travel Insurance 2015)
- Edinburgh ranked in top 3 best places to live in the UK (PwC & think-tank Demos 2015)
- Edinburgh University was ranked 17th in the world (QS World Rankings 2014)
- Named ‘Best Mid-Sized European City’ (Financial Times fDi Magazine 2014)
- Edinburgh Airport was named 'Airport of the Year' for the second consecutive year (Scottish Transport Awards 2014)
- Named ‘Best Foreign Direct Investment Strategy’ (Mid-Sized City) (Financial Times fDi Magazine 2014)
- Voted one of the ‘Top Ten Cities to Visit’ (Wanderlust Travel Awards 2014)
- Edinburgh Airport voted ‘Best in Europe’ (ACI EUROPE Best Airport Awards 2013)
- Edinburgh has been ranked as the best large European City for foreign direct investment according to fDi's European Cities and Regions of the Future 2012/13 awards.